Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Isadore Banks: Not a Household Name

The treatment of African Americans during the Civil Rights Era has been well documented. Names such as Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks register with the majority of Americans. Their stories are taught to young children in grade school. However, there are black men and woman who paid the ultimate price during this time period. They do not have national holidays in their honor. They are not wide known symbols of equality. These men and women are civil rights murder victims. Their killers have yet to be brought to justice. It is unlikely that they ever will.
One such victim is a man named Isadore Banks. Banks lived in Marion Arkansas (Crittenden County). As a land owner and employer of several workers, he found himself the target of much criticism by his white neighbors. Despite Arkansas’s relative progressive attitudes on breaking down the barriers between whites and blacks in the South and the fact that Banks had several white friends and colleagues, Banks became the victim of a heinous murder. His body found chained to a tree, Banks had been beaten and then burned. This murder occurred 55 years ago next month. No one has been brought to justice.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know are care for that matter what others say about grandfatherl. YES, YES HE WAS A LADIES MAN. HE HAD THE MONEY, LOOKS,ETC. BUT, Grandfather was also something of a political figure to for many Blacks in Crittendon Country because his name is on a lot of important documents for others. There is another family still there that stood and fought THE GAMMONS. Unfortunately, for Grandfather he was ambushed and taken to his BARBARIC DEATH. Nevertheless, he will always be my HERO because if he had not gotten my grandmother and mother (his daughter ) out when he did I wouldn't be here today. I THANK YOU GRANDFATHER AND I'LL ALWAYS HONOR YOU. EVEN THOUGH I COULD NOT HONOR YOU WHILE YOU WERE LIVING, I CAN IN YOUR DEATH. UNTIL GOD ALLOWS US TO MEET I'LL HAVE YOU IN SPIRIT. NEVER WILL YOU BE FORGOTTEN. YOUR LOVING GRANDDAUGHTER LINA, I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Beloved Sister Lina:

    Your Grandfather and Grandmother were our neighbors in Marion, Arkansas and they were wonderful people. I was 7 years old when he was murdered and I have never forgotten this horrific crime. I talked about this injustice as a Civil Rights Attorney for 23 years and as a Minister for the last 17 years. My father was Jesse W. Mason and my mother was Aileen P. Mason. Daddy worked with the Farmers Home Administration and my mother was the English Teacher at J. S. Phelix and we werevery close to the Gammons. Please let me know how I can help to bring some long overdue justice and to honor Mr. Banks" legacy. My contact information is 615 west 145th Street, New York, New York 10031; tel. no. 1-212-862-8634;c. 1-646-369-4093 and e-Mail Address mason.cvernon@gmail.com.

    God Bless you and your Family and Stay Strong,

    Rev. Dr. C. Vernon Mason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I can use all the help I can get. I've got so many working against me to find out the truth it's heart breaking. There are people still living right there in Marion or close by won't help. These are the same people my grandfather helped get their businesses and farms out of the hands of the bank. Grandfather helped everyone. The white community as well as the black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lina wouldlove to talk to you. hoseamills5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete